Tuesday, February 28, 2012

tune-in tuesday

While Tune-in Tuesday  might be infrequent, I like to think I deliver some good music. Oh, for my new followers this is where I feature the artists and songs that I'm jamming to lately. Whether it's local to the mid-west or mainstream, full-steam-ahead bands, I'm certain that you'll find something you like too! I'll post in 1 to 3 catergories:
  • new 
  • new to me 
  • renewed 
This week I'd love to share with you a new and renewed favorite: American Youth












This indie-folk band (formerly happygolovely) is no stranger to the midwest music circuit. Before the change, I saw them perform at Sonshine Music Festival in Willmar, MN after they won the festivals battle of the bands; the continued to dominate in the Lifelight Festival botb in Sioux Falls, SD.  Oh, and they've been featured on a few pretty great shows: E!'s "Keeping Up With The Kardashians", "Kourtney & Kim Take New York," MTV's "Real World," and others, just to mention a few!

American Youth is:
Ben Garrett | Lead Vocals, Guitars, Piano/Rhodes, Harmonica, Percussion
Winslow Leach | Vox, Bass, Whistles, Bowed Xylophone, Field Officer, Ukulele, Guitars
Justin Swafford | Guitars, BGV's | Emily Cline | Guitars, Vocals, Piano, Trombone
Jake Neiderhauser | DrumsLindsey Faber | BGV's, Ukulele, Percussion

After discovering a small-world connection between Ben and I (through his fiance's Tumblr, no joke) I took another look at the music. I'm betting you will love their full bodied, yet mellow tunes. Vocals that carry and fall like a leaf taken by the wind are paired with harmonies not-too-overwhelming. Oh, listen to this track  for something with a bit more movement. A friend of mine even compared them too a less electronic Modest Mouse, which I think is a fair statement.

Ben shared with me a list of bands that they've opened for and it's just as impressive:  The Rocket Summer, The Spill Canvas, The Almost, Abandon Kansas, Rooney, Relient K, Hanson, Lissie, and WALK THE MOON. (When I saw Lissie listed, I maybe fangirl-ed a little bit inside).

Seriously, look them up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some sweet words, darlings!